Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Artist in Residence Mindy Sue Wittock

Our new Fibers Artist in Residence, Mindy Sue Wittock, received a BFA from the University of Wisconsin Green Bay in 2004 and an MFA at Arizona State University in 2008. Walk into her studio at Grand Center and you'll find it coated in candy-like goodness!

"Treats like cupcakes, candies, and pastries are naturally related to human emotion. They are brought to birthdays, weddings, and to close friends who just went through a trying time; they are tied to celebrations and comfort. A delicious confection can make us feel elated, if only for a minute, it’s a minutes of pure sweetness."

How many years have you been a fibers artist?
I started working in fibers as an undergraduate student in 2002 and have continued my research and exploration with the medium into the present day. I really enjoy creating objects with stitching and stuffing and embellishing.

Describe the work you are making or hope to make during your time at CA:
I am working on an installation that Hello Kitty would want to hang out in. A space that is reminiscent of a cross between Munchkin Land and Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. Sweet and edible looking, with large bush like structures and hanging smelling good pieces!

What inspires your work?
My inspiration comes from vintage cookbooks and Martha Stewart, as well as from fictitious icons such as Willy Wonka, Mary Poppins and Hello Kitty. I think a lot about what made me happy as a child when I make my artwork, and the imaginary games I played with my best friend and brother and sister.

No comments:

Post a Comment